Sunday 20 April 2014

MAKIN' GLASSES, MAKIN' PLASTIC GLASSES.

Helloooo

Today I'm going to be talking about making my character's glasses out of plastic resin, using a two part silicone mould!


Firstly, I hand sculpted the glasses' frames in Super Sculpey Firm and then baked it in the oven. Then, similarly to my plaster mould making, I 'clayed up' the sculpt using plasticine. 
For moulding keys, I used some large bolts that were hanging about in the garage, with a plastic bead on top. This would allow the two sides of the mould to fit together perfectly.

Once I boxed the mould in, I poured mould making silicone on top of the clayed up glasses and allowed it to cure.

If you'd like to try this yourself, here is a link to where I got the silicone (and most of my other model making materials) from…


Pictures are a tad scarce at this point as I was concentrating, but basically, once the first part of the mould was cured, I boxed it in once more and sprayed a silicone release agent on the first layer of silicone. Here's the spray:


I bought this from Tiranti.co.uk: a brilliant website for any sculptors and model makers!
This spray stopped the two sides of the silicone mould from sticking to each other.
So here's the final two part mould:


I injected the mould with some plastic resin, mixed with white pigment, and here is what came out!



TAHDA!

For the arms, I then bought some cheapy, white reading glasses from the WONDER that is POUNDLAND.


Here's a pic of the glasses (mine were white though). Using these glasses, I cut the arms off and heated them up with a lighter. I was then able to manipulate the plastic and mould it into the shape I wanted. Some extra filing and sanding and they were good to go!

Here's a pic of them stuck to the frames I made earlier 




I opted for a black frame, I thought it would look better.
The arms just needed some black spray and then they were ready to go! YAYYY

That is enough for one post!

Here's today's doggie pic:
I call it 'whut'

No comments:

Post a Comment